From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:40:14
1 On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 01:46:45 AM lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
4 > >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 > >> > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
6 > >> > wrote:
7 > >> >
8 > >> > [...]
9 > >> >
10 > >> >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
11 > >> >>work,
12 > >> >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
13 > >> >>opensource
14 > >> >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
15 > >> >>
16 > >> > I'd love to do this myself as well.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you
19 > >> > need
20 > >> > a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into
21 > >> > the
22 > >> > VM display. (Spice or VNC)
23 > >> >
24 > >> > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to
25 > >> > the
26 > >> > client software. [...]
27 > >>
28 > >> You would have a full VM for each user?
29 > >
30 > > Yes
31 > >
32 > >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
33 > >
34 > > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
35 >
36 > Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea. Overcommitting
37 > memory is not possible with xen.
38
39 Overcommitting diskspace isn't such a bad idea, considering most installs
40 never utilize all the available diskspace.
41 Overcommitting memory is, i think, on the roadmap for Xen. (Disclaimer: At
42 least, I seem to remember reading that somewhere)
43
44 > >> plus having to take care of a lot of VMs,
45 > >
46 > > Automated.
47 >
48 > Like how?
49
50 How do you manage a large amount of physical machines?
51 Just change physical to VMs and do it the same.
52 With VMs you have more options for automation.
53
54 > >> plus having to buy a lot of Windoze licenses
55 > >
56 > > Volume licensing takes care of that.
57 >
58 > expensive
59
60 Depends on the requirements. It's cheaper then a few hundred seperate windows
61 licenses.
62
63 > >> and taking about a week to install the updates
64 > >> after installing a VM.
65 > >
66 > > Never heard of VM templates?
67 >
68 > It still takes a week to put the updates onto the template.
69
70 Last time I had to fully reinstall a windows machine it took me a day to do
71 all the updates. Microsoft even has server software that will keep them
72 locally and push them to the clients.
73
74 > >> Add to that that the xen host goes down at
75 > >> random time intervals (because the sending queue of the network card
76 > >> times out for reasons that cannot be determined) which can be as long as
77 > >> a day, a week or even up to three weeks, and you are likely to become a
78 > >> rather unhappy administrator.
79 > >
80 > > Sorry, but I consider that a bug in your hardware. If it's really that
81 > > unstable, replace it.
82 > > I've been running Xen enabled servers for nearly 15 years. Never had
83 > > issues
84 > > like that. If it were truly that unstable, it wouldn't be gaining
85 > > popularity.
86 > The hardware has already been replaced, and the problem persists. Other
87 > machines of identical hardware that don't run xen don't show any issues.
88
89 I still say the hardware is buggy. With replacing, I meant replace it with
90 different hardware, not a different version of the same buggy stuff.
91
92 > >> Try kvm instead, and you'll find that
93 > >> it's impossible to migrate the VMs from xen to to kvm when you want to
94 > >> use virtio drivers because you can't install them on an existing Windoze
95 > >> VM.
96 > >
97 > > Not a problem with the virtualisation technology. It is an issue with
98 > > driver management inside MS Windows.
99 > > There are ways to migrate VMs succesfully, I just don't see the point in
100 > > wasting time for that.
101 >
102 > It's time consuming when you have to reinstall the VMs to migrate them
103 > to kvm. And when you don't have the installers of all the software
104 > that's on some of the VMs and can't get them, you either have to run
105 > them without virtio drivers or you can't migrate them.
106
107 There are Howtos on the internet describing how to migrate VMs from 1
108 technology to another. Shouldn't be too hard.
109 And keeping the installers at hand is, in my opinion, a requirement of sane
110 system management.
111 I have installers for all the versions of software I deal with.
112
113 > > The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
114 > > functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an unclean-
115 > > shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is gone.
116 >
117 > I'm not sure what you mean. When you take a snapshot while the VM is not
118 > shut down, what difference does it make whether you use xen or kvm?
119
120 A "snapshot" for KVM is ONLY the disks.
121 With Xen, VMWare and Virtualbox, I can also make a snapshot/copy of what's in
122 memory. It's that which makes the difference.
123
124 > >> Then there's the question how well vnc or spice connections work over a
125 > >> VPN that goes over the internet.
126 > >
127 > > VNC works quite well, as long as you use a minimal desktop. (like
128 > > blackbox). Don't expect KDE or Gnome to be usable.
129 > > I haven't tried Spice yet, but I've read that it performs better.
130 >
131 > It's not like you had a choice when you have Windoze VMs.
132
133 Windows has RDP, which is a lot better than VNC. Especially when dealing with
134 low-bandwidth connections.
135
136 > >> It's not like the employees could get
137 > >> reliable internet connections with sufficient bandwidth, not to mention
138 > >> that the company would have to get one in the first place, which isn't
139 > >> much easier to get, if any.
140 > >
141 > > That depends on where you are.
142 >
143 > In this country, you have to be really lucky to find a place where you
144 > can get a decent internet connection.
145
146 Then in your country, working from home might not be the best option.
147
148 > > The company could host the servers in a decent datacentre, which should
149 > > take care of the bandwidth issues.
150 >
151 > And give all their data out of hands? And how much does that cost?
152
153 I'm talking about putting your own hardware there, not letting the datacentre
154 company access to the servers.
155
156 > > For the employees, if they want to work from home, it's up to them to
157 > > ensure they have a reliable connection.
158 >
159 > It is as much problem of the company when they want the employees to
160 > work at home. And the employees don't have a choice, they can only get
161 > a connection they can get.
162
163 If the company insists people work from home, they need to ensure the
164 employees have the option for a usable connection. Most companies I deal with
165 leave working from home as an option to the employees.
166
167 > >> It might work in theory. How would it be feasible in practise?
168 > >
169 > > Plenty of companies do it this way. If you don't want to pay for software
170 > > like XenDesktop, you need to do all the work setting it up yourself.
171 >
172 > VNC is somewhat slow over a 1Gbit LAN. Did they find some way to
173 > overcome this problem?
174
175 Depends on the settings.
176
177 > This sounds like it is for people with unlimited resources.
178 >
179 > BTW, access a VM through VNC, and you don't even have any way to make
180 > the mouse pointer in the VNC window actually follow the mouse pointer
181 > you're using, which makes it rather annoying to do anything in the VM
182 > you're looking at. If you found a solution for that, I'd be curious as
183 > to how you solved this problem.
184
185 There is, it's even documented.
186 I'm assuming you are talking about the VNC-console Xen provides?
187
188 Configure the mouse to be a tablet in the VM config and the issue disappears.
191 Joost