From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:27:29
1 On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:38 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 27 January 2007 18:40, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
3 > > One question though: is there a reason why PORTAGE_TMPDIR does not
4 > > default to /tmp?
5
6 I've been running PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /tmp for at least a couple of years
7 without any issues (actually /var/tmp/portage, but /var/tmp symlinks
8 to /tmp on most of my systems).
9
10 > The real nature of /tmp isn't adequate for portage, that's why it uses a
11 > different one. If memory serves, the FHS defines /tmp as a temporary
12 > place to store files, and the continued existence of the file after a
13 > process has finished is not guaranteed. In other words, if there are no
14 > existing locks on a file, it's up for summary deletion. This could be
15 > fatal in a big compile - imagine if some cleaner process nuked a binary
16 > compiled 4 hours ago in an openoffice compile....
17
18 I'm not sure if your memory is correct, but I've always been told
19 "never put anything in /tmp that you want to survive a reboot". But
20 still using your def I suppose that process would be 'emerge' which, on
21 the default config, deletes the files before it finishes anyway.
22
23 Most cleaners have sane mtime/atime parameters that they don't interfere
24 with merges. The the default Gentoo tmpwatch config for /tmp is 168
25 (336 hrs for /var/tmp/portage). I've never had an emerge take 168 hours.
26 If you do, you can adjust that parameter. I do also have DISTDIR
27 pointing to /var/portage/distfiles and I have a different policy for
28 tmpwatch for that.
29
30 > But the best reason is that some compiles are HUGE. Openoffice can take
31 > up all of 5G with everything enabled, and as /tmp is often a tmpfs,
32 > it's highly unlikely most users will have enough space on /tmp to
33 > emerge it.
34
35 Not that that's ever been a problem for me but you can always
36 temporarily divert it when compiling "HUGE" jobs.
37
38 # PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/scratch/portage emerge openoffice
39
40 IMO it's more than worth the convenience/performance of running it
41 in /tmp than not. As I've said I've been doing it for a long while and
42 I'd don't remember ever having files "disappear" or running out of space
43 on /tmp.
44
45 But if you want to discuss FHS let's talk about how /usr/portage doesn't
46 belong in /usr ;-)
47
48 -m
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list