From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Still struggling with starting X and enlightenment desktop
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 16:23:45
1 After years of running KDM to start various desktop environments flawlessly
2 (KDE, fluxbox, enlightenment, plasma) I had to replace it with SDDM. With the
3 arrival of x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r2 I am still able to start a session with
4 enlightenment, but I am getting access rights errors, for example my user is
5 unable to mount a USB stick. Also, when I log out it logs me back in the
6 first time and then logs out normally the second time I try to log out. I am
7 guessing something which should be sourced, is not, but I don't know how to
8 fix it.
9
10 For years now I have had the following files in place to control what desktop
11 manager starts:
12
13 $ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
14 XSESSION="enlightenment"
17 $ cat /etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment
18 #!/bin/sh
19 if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
20 eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
21 fi
22
23 /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
26 cat ~/.xsession
27 #!/bin/sh
28 if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
29 kill $(ps ux | awk '/gpg-agent/ && !/awk/ {print $2}') >/dev/null 2>&1
30 fi
31
32 if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
33 eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
34 fi
35
36 if [ -x /usr/bin/urxvtd ]; then
37 /usr/bin/urxvtd --opendisplay --fork --quiet
38 fi
39
40 /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
43 I keyworded x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r3 and discovered enlightenment complains it
44 can't run the compositor with OpenGL. I tried starting a X session from the
45 console without DM, with 'startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start' but I also get
46 similar symptoms, including inability to run compositor with OpenGL. I get
47 errors like this in ~/.xsession-errors:
48
49 ERR<5100>:eina_safety lib/efreet/efreet_ini.c:299 efreet_ini_string_get()
50 safety check failed: ini->section == NULL
51
52 (gkrellm:5117): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_box_reorder_child: assertion
53 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed
54 ERR<5141>:eldbus lib/eldbus/eldbus_proxy.c:818 _props_get_all() Error getting
55 all properties of
56 org.freedesktop.UDisks2/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/s
57 da1, error message: org.enlightenment.DBus.Canceled Canceled by user.
60 I also tried entrance from bar overlay (it has not been updated in a while and
61 has a dependency on an obsolete package), slim (won't log me in) and lightdm.
62 When I run lightdm there are no such problems, enlightenment starts with
63 OpenGLcompositor, I can mount USB disks, but lightdm installed and is running
64 much more than what I really need for my desktop.
65
66 Is there a way I can start enlightenment without running into all these kind
67 of errors? Can you see something wrong in my file contents above?
70 Regards,
71 Mick