From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still struggling with starting X and enlightenment desktop
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 19:11:46
1 On 25/03/2017 18:23, Mick wrote:
2 > After years of running KDM to start various desktop environments flawlessly
3 > (KDE, fluxbox, enlightenment, plasma) I had to replace it with SDDM. With the
4 > arrival of x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r2 I am still able to start a session with
5 > enlightenment, but I am getting access rights errors, for example my user is
6 > unable to mount a USB stick. Also, when I log out it logs me back in the
7 > first time and then logs out normally the second time I try to log out. I am
8 > guessing something which should be sourced, is not, but I don't know how to
9 > fix it.
10 >
11 > For years now I have had the following files in place to control what desktop
12 > manager starts:
13 >
14 > $ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
15 > XSESSION="enlightenment"
18 > $ cat /etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment
19 > #!/bin/sh
20 > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
21 > eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
22 > fi
23 >
24 > /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
27 > cat ~/.xsession
28 > #!/bin/sh
29 > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
30 > kill $(ps ux | awk '/gpg-agent/ && !/awk/ {print $2}') >/dev/null 2>&1
31 > fi
32 >
33 > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
34 > eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
35 > fi
36 >
37 > if [ -x /usr/bin/urxvtd ]; then
38 > /usr/bin/urxvtd --opendisplay --fork --quiet
39 > fi
40 >
41 > /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
44 > I keyworded x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r3 and discovered enlightenment complains it
45 > can't run the compositor with OpenGL. I tried starting a X session from the
46 > console without DM, with 'startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start' but I also get
47 > similar symptoms, including inability to run compositor with OpenGL. I get
48 > errors like this in ~/.xsession-errors:
49 >
50 > ERR<5100>:eina_safety lib/efreet/efreet_ini.c:299 efreet_ini_string_get()
51 > safety check failed: ini->section == NULL
52 >
53 > (gkrellm:5117): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_box_reorder_child: assertion
54 > 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed
55 > ERR<5141>:eldbus lib/eldbus/eldbus_proxy.c:818 _props_get_all() Error getting
56 > all properties of
57 > org.freedesktop.UDisks2/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/s
58 > da1, error message: org.enlightenment.DBus.Canceled Canceled by user.
61 > I also tried entrance from bar overlay (it has not been updated in a while and
62 > has a dependency on an obsolete package), slim (won't log me in) and lightdm.
63 > When I run lightdm there are no such problems, enlightenment starts with
64 > OpenGLcompositor, I can mount USB disks, but lightdm installed and is running
65 > much more than what I really need for my desktop.
66 >
67 > Is there a way I can start enlightenment without running into all these kind
68 > of errors? Can you see something wrong in my file contents above?
69
70 Your files look OK to me so I have no idea why you get those erro.
71
72 You also say lightdm wrks correctly, so lookee here:
73
74 alan@khamul ~/gitwork/ansible $ equery size lightdm
75 * x11-misc/lightdm-1.21.5
76 Total files : 119
77 Total size : 1.91 MiB
78 alan@khamul ~/gitwork/ansible $ equery size sddmdm
79 !!! No installed packages matching 'sddmdm'
80 alan@khamul ~/gitwork/ansible $ equery size sddm
81 * x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r2
82 Total files : 192
83 Total size : 4.78 MiB
84
85 The on that works is smaller and lighter than the one that doesn't.
86
87 I say dump sddm and stick with lightdm which works :-)
91 Alan McKinnon
92 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com