From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't remove device-mapper can't install it either
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 04:05:34
1 On Sunday 22 November 2009 03:40:50 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
3 > > with baselayout-1. So, your options:
4 > >
5 > > Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc.
6 >
7 > Done, following
8 >
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
10 >
11 > No joy.
12 >
13 > After '*Autoloaded 24 module(s)' in the boot console there's the bit
14 > '*lvm uses addon code which is deprecated' followed by '*Setting up
15 > the LVM...*Checking local filesystems...' /dev/sda1 passes but
16 > fsck.ext2 can't find /dev/sdb1,2 so /var and /home don't get mounted
17 > and the system is crippled, although I can still login and mount by
18 > hand.
19
20 What does that have to do with device-mapper and lvm?
21
22 /dev/sd* are physical block devices, not lvm's problem. Check you have support
23 built for whatever those drives are
24
25 > > device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
26 > > of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
27 > > portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
28 > > because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2
29 >
30 > I removed /etc/conf.d/device-mapper and /etc/init.d/device-mapper. I
31 > emerged lvm2 and lvm is 'started', according to '/etc/init.d/lvm
32 > status'. Question: Is there supposed to be an lvm2 in init.d? I just
33 > have lvm.
34
35 The package is called lvm2.
36 The script it installs is lvm
37
38 > IIRC in a thread from a few months ago there was a tip about putting
39 > the 'pause <secs>' command into a certain config file, which I can't
40 > recall. Or was it 'delay <secs>' or 'time <secs>' ? This was meant for
41 > the hardware to catch its breath so to speak and allow the system to
42 > find the SD card. This was about the same time I noticed that SD
43 > support was missing from the kernel. So maybe it was the the delay I
44 > added to that script, which may have disappeared in an etc-update
45 > session, and not the SD support after all. Grabbing straws here ;(
46
47 Is sdb an SD device? Is the module loaded?
48
49 And if you let such an important thing get trashed by etc-update, then you
50 only have yourself to blame. That'll teach you :-)
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com