From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't remove device-mapper can't install it either
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 02:07:44
1 > There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
2 > with baselayout-1. So, your options:
3 >
4 > Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc.
5
6 Done, following
7
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
9
10 No joy.
11
12 After '*Autoloaded 24 module(s)' in the boot console there's the bit
13 '*lvm uses addon code which is deprecated' followed by '*Setting up
14 the LVM...*Checking local filesystems...' /dev/sda1 passes but
15 fsck.ext2 can't find /dev/sdb1,2 so /var and /home don't get mounted
16 and the system is crippled, although I can still login and mount by
17 hand.
18
19 > device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
20 > of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
21 > portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
22 > because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2
25 I removed /etc/conf.d/device-mapper and /etc/init.d/device-mapper. I
26 emerged lvm2 and lvm is 'started', according to '/etc/init.d/lvm
27 status'. Question: Is there supposed to be an lvm2 in init.d? I just
28 have lvm.
29
30 IIRC in a thread from a few months ago there was a tip about putting
31 the 'pause <secs>' command into a certain config file, which I can't
32 recall. Or was it 'delay <secs>' or 'time <secs>' ? This was meant for
33 the hardware to catch its breath so to speak and allow the system to
34 find the SD card. This was about the same time I noticed that SD
35 support was missing from the kernel. So maybe it was the the delay I
36 added to that script, which may have disappeared in an etc-update
37 session, and not the SD support after all. Grabbing straws here ;(
38
39 mw