From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:50:51
1 On Sat, Sep 15 2012, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 120915 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I just received a new laptop (dell 6430s) with a 256GB SSD
5 >> and naturally want to install Gentoo. This is my first with an SSD.
6 >> I reinstalled Windows shrinking the large partition very considerably
7 >
8 > That much is what I did with my EEE netbook 2008 .
9 > M$ has 2 uses : when you need to test things with your ISP,
10 > who is familiar with the Windows configuration process ;
11 > when you want to play bridge with the machine (no bridge for Linux !).
12
13 I don't play bridge but do find windows also useful when dealing with
14 dell if there are any hardware issues.
15
16 >> My plan is to have root+usr on one "native partition" to appease
17 >> the oracle at udev and the rest on lvm2 as in my current configuration.
18 >
19 > It's working very well & I've dropped LVM.
20
21 I toyed with that thought after the udev business, but eventually
22 decided to stay with LVM.
23
24 > My partitions on the SSD are (new box, old box assigned, old box used):
25 >
26 > SSD sda 1 boot 0,6 0,1 0,06 /boot
27 > 2 root 30 20 3,55 / incl : opt usr var
28 > 3 swap 4 4 -- swap
29 > 5 home 30 20 6,84 /home
30 > 6 portage 15 20 3,43 /usr/portage (distfiles 2,3)
31 > -- var -- 5 1,4 /var
32 > 7 z 41 24 1,5 /z
33 > total 121 93,1 19,45
34 >
35 > tmpfs -- -- -- /tmp
36
37 I am embarrassed to say I had trouble reading the above, embarrassed
38 because it show provincial habits. I didn't even consider that , could
39 be a decimal point. Now it is clear
40
41 > I've put /usr/local + /usr/src on my HDD, which your laptop lacks,
42 > but you've got 128 GB more space on your SSD than I have
43 > & you wb backing it up on some other machine, I assume,
44 > so you have lots of space for more partitions for such things.
45
46 Correct.
47
48 > ( /z is a big hangar for making ISOs, testing archives, Portage tempdir).
49 > NB I've assigned vastly more space than I'm currently actually using.
50
51 I have the equivalent on my current system and will probably carry it
52 over as well.
53
54 >> I know that it is important to have ssd partitions well aligned.
55 >> It appears that fdisk is doing this automatically.
56 >
57 > Yes, iff you partition the whole disk that way.
58 > I don't know whether Dell + M$ located their partitions correctly
59 > or whether Fdisk will start at the proper place when adding more.
60
61 No for dell, yes for microsoft, yes for fdisk (at least emacs calc says
62 so).
63
64 thanks,
65 allan