From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:10:36
1 120915 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I just received a new laptop (dell 6430s) with a 256GB SSD
3 > and naturally want to install Gentoo. This is my first with an SSD.
4 > I reinstalled Windows shrinking the large partition very considerably
5
6 That much is what I did with my EEE netbook 2008 .
7 M$ has 2 uses : when you need to test things with your ISP,
8 who is familiar with the Windows configuration process ;
9 when you want to play bridge with the machine (no bridge for Linux !).
10
11 > My plan is to have root+usr on one "native partition" to appease
12 > the oracle at udev and the rest on lvm2 as in my current configuration.
13
14 Now we've moved to my current installation on my newly-built desktop box,
15 my 1st SSD too. It's working very well & I've dropped LVM.
16 My partitions on the SSD are (new box, old box assigned, old box used):
17
18 SSD sda 1 boot 0,6 0,1 0,06 /boot
19 2 root 30 20 3,55 / incl : opt usr var
20 3 swap 4 4 -- swap
21 5 home 30 20 6,84 /home
22 6 portage 15 20 3,43 /usr/portage (distfiles 2,3)
23 -- var -- 5 1,4 /var
24 7 z 41 24 1,5 /z
25 total 121 93,1 19,45
26
27 tmpfs -- -- -- /tmp
28
29 I've put /usr/local + /usr/src on my HDD, which your laptop lacks,
30 but you've got 128 GB more space on your SSD than I have
31 & you wb backing it up on some other machine, I assume,
32 so you have lots of space for more partitions for such things.
33 ( /z is a big hangar for making ISOs, testing archives, Portage tempdir).
34 NB I've assigned vastly more space than I'm currently actually using.
35
36 > I know that it is important to have ssd partitions well aligned.
37 > It appears that fdisk is doing this automatically.
38
39 Yes, iff you partition the whole disk that way.
40 I don't know whether Dell + M$ located their partitions correctly
41 or whether Fdisk will start at the proper place when adding more.
45 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
46 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
47 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca