From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:30:52
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Yes, iff you partition the whole disk that way.
3 > I don't know whether Dell + M$ located their partitions correctly
4 > or whether Fdisk will start at the proper place when adding more.
5
6 Microsoft have been doing the right thing since Vista SP1, long before
7 the Linux ecosystem pulled its collective head out of the sand.
8 Regarding the available partitioning tools, fdisk from util-linux-2.18
9 onwards is safe. Gentoo was extremely slow on the uptake in getting this
10 issue resolved but that's water under the bridge now. Any release media
11 from around the time bug #356941 was closed will be safe.
12
13 I usually validate the starting boundary of a partition in this fashion:
14
15 echo $(( 64538624 % 8 )) # 0 == 1MiB aligned == good
16
17 Cheers,
18
19 --Kerin