From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 02:03:45
1 On Sat, Sep 15 2012, Kerin Millar wrote:
2
3 > Philip Webb wrote:
4 >> Yes, iff you partition the whole disk that way.
5 >> I don't know whether Dell + M$ located their partitions correctly
6 >> or whether Fdisk will start at the proper place when adding more.
7 >
8 > Microsoft have been doing the right thing since Vista SP1,
9
10 I remember the bad days (me et al) when it was a pain to get the windows
11 partition shrunk and willing to accept a grub mbr. I always allocated a
12 whole day (alone, since I would be grouchy) to do that and often needed
13 more time. I think it was around vista, where it just became easy. It
14 was certainly easy with the current windows 7.
15
16 > long before the Linux ecosystem pulled its collective head out of the
17 > sand. Regarding the available partitioning tools, fdisk from
18 > util-linux-2.18 onwards is safe. Gentoo was extremely slow on the
19 > uptake in getting this issue resolved but that's water under the
20 > bridge now. Any release media from around the time bug #356941 was
21 > closed will be safe.
22
23 I used a live CD from nov 3 2011
24
25 livecd ~ # uname -a
26 Linux livecd 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 12:50:42 UTC 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
27
28 > I usually validate the starting boundary of a partition in this fashion:
29 >
30 > echo $(( 64538624 % 8 )) # 0 == 1MiB aligned == good
31
32 right. I used emacs calc.
33
34 allan