From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where are the version numbers of a profile stored?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 19:33:34
1 On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:46 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 > Regarding ~amd64 vs. amd64 - these are both just keywords, reflecting
5 > only a qualitative difference, not a special syntax understood by
6 > ebuild/emerge?
9 Honestly, I'm not actually sure whether portage has any logic that
10 gives these meaning. If you did a sed on the entire tree and replaced
11 "~amd64" with "apple" and "amd64" with "pear" I suspect that wouldn't
12 break anything, but I'm not sure if there is logic that gives ~arch
13 some special treatment compared to arch.
14
15 In practice amd64 means that a package is stable on amd64, and ~amd64
16 means that a package is flagged as being of "testing" quality on
17 amd64. The threshold for the latter is that it builds and doesn't
18 break or have serious problems. The threshold for stability is that
19 it typically has been around for 30 days and is suitable for stable
20 users (I won't go into the details).
23 Rich