From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where are the version numbers of a profile stored?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 19:10:25
1 On 2020-06-07 20:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> When I do an emerge --sync, various ebuilds are loaded onto my system,
4 >> co-existing with other ebuilds, possibly from the same package. What
5 >> determines which package version is to be used?
6 >>
7 >> I assumed this was specified by the profile (e.g. 17.1), but I can't
8 >> find any version numbers in /etc/portage/make.profile/
9 >>
10 > The process is exclusionary, not inclusionary, for the most part,
11 > which is why the profiles tend to be simple and not list a lot of
12 > packages or versions.
15 Okay, that's understandable.
18 > Keywords: A package version can only be installed if it contains an
19 > accepted keyword. Keywords can be accepted by your profile or by your
20 > make.conf. Eg, ~amd64 or amd64. If the package does not declare any
21 > keyword that you are accepting, then it will not be used. This is the
22 > main mechanism used to determine what version you will get. Packages
23 > are keyworded based on whether they work (~arch) or are considered
24 > stable (arch) on a particular architecture.
27 Regarding ~amd64 vs. amd64 - these are both just keywords, reflecting
28 only  a qualitative difference, not a special syntax understood by
29 ebuild/emerge?
30
31 > If you post a specific example I can explain what version will be
32 > installed, assuming you don't have any dependencies with version
33 > restrictions, and you will need to tell me what your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
34 > and profile are set to.
37 Please see my following posting on my other, concurrent thread.