From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] union merge for binpkg makers
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 00:08:21
1 On Tue, 5 May 2009 16:32:39 -0400
2 Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Storage space comes pretty cheap these days, so prehaps it's just
5 > > easier to get dirt-cheap 80G harddisk and build (and keep) all the
6 > > packages from sum of the worlds on it in a dedicated chroot or VM?
7 >
8 > Well, i'm keeping all packages currently, and diskspace is cheap for
9 > home computers, but not on this binary cruncher... =(
10 >
11 ...
12 >
13 > > sshfs (prehaps with something like funionfs if you keep local packages
14 > > too) should be enough to mount generated packages to any host and deploy
15 > > them.
16 > >
17 > > To avoid unnecessary syncing of portage trees (even with one local
18 > > server) you can just mount it when needed, along with the packages,
19 > > since it doesn't need write access anyway.
20 >
21 > Well i used to use sshfs to mount the "binpkg repository's
22 > /usr/portage"... but running a basic `emerge -k -vp -uDN world` would
23 > take days, the -k was the problem.
24 >
25 > So, i now sync the /usr/portage from my host to one of my PC, then
26 > sync from that PC to the others locally. Then i emerge.
27 >
28 > Also, i dont fully like having my packages remote, i like to be
29 > independant... so NFS and others may be a neat solution, but brings a
30 > lot of limitations in my situation.
31
32 That explains a lot.
33
34 Now the idea seem reasonable to me, as long as by union you mean local
35 (toolchain plus some stuff) root on top of remote, so only few
36 dependencies' (not present in root overlay) headers and remote
37 /var/db/pkg entries would be actually transferred over the
38 network connection, not the whole root.
41 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net