From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] union merge for binpkg makers
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 20:32:42
1 > Storage space comes pretty cheap these days, so prehaps it's just
2 > easier to get dirt-cheap 80G harddisk and build (and keep) all the
3 > packages from sum of the worlds on it in a dedicated chroot or VM?
4
5 Well, i'm keeping all packages currently, and diskspace is cheap for
6 home computers, but not on this binary cruncher... =(
7
8 > To sync world, make.conf and /etc/portage you can easily use distributed
9 > VCS like git or mercurial, keeping each host's files in separate
10 > branche on this server.
11 > It has added benefit of keeping all the history of your configuration,
12 > should you need to fall back to some stable state. Also, it's much
13 > easier to sync any changes in any way between the hosts that way.
14
15 Good idea
16
17 > sshfs (prehaps with something like funionfs if you keep local packages
18 > too) should be enough to mount generated packages to any host and deploy
19 > them.
20 >
21 > To avoid unnecessary syncing of portage trees (even with one local
22 > server) you can just mount it when needed, along with the packages,
23 > since it doesn't need write access anyway.
24
25 Well i used to use sshfs to mount the "binpkg repository's
26 /usr/portage"... but running a basic `emerge -k -vp -uDN world` would
27 take days, the -k was the problem.
28
29 So, i now sync the /usr/portage from my host to one of my PC, then
30 sync from that PC to the others locally. Then i emerge.
31
32 Also, i dont fully like having my packages remote, i like to be
33 independant... so NFS and others may be a neat solution, but brings a
34 lot of limitations in my situation.
35
36 Thanks!