From: Johannes Rosenberger <gentoo@×××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help interpreting kernel panic
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:56:50
1 On 11.02.2017 20:47, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Again I get a kernel panic but this time its different. It seems to
4 >> mount the disks ok but then fails to find a working `init' command.
5 >>
6 >> Checking that with sysrescueCD I see /sbin/init does exist on that new vm.
7 >> and is executable.
8 >>
9 >> The disk setup is sda1=/boot sda2=swap sda3=/home sda4=/
10 >>
11 > My guess is that it is mounting the wrong filesystem as root. It
12 > might be detecting /dev/sdb as /dev/sda. Also, the root device might
13 > be named /dev/xda4 depending on the kernel/etc. Systemrescuecd isn't
14 > using the same kernel/etc so it might not see the disks the same way.
15 >
16 > An initramfs with root=UUID="505f850e-b26a-4d0f-a02f-6ba573a48ad8" (or
17 > a label) would be a more reliable way to handle this, or you can
18 > probably just fiddle with the device names until you stumble on the
19 > right one.
22 Well, if you look at the kernel messages you see that the init is found
23 but not executable (error -8). I don't know what the error number means, but
24 have you set CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF and CONFIG_BINFMT_SCRIPT in your .config?
25 Is /bin/sh executable?