From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help interpreting kernel panic
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:48:54
1 On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Again I get a kernel panic but this time its different. It seems to
4 > mount the disks ok but then fails to find a working `init' command.
5 >
6 > Checking that with sysrescueCD I see /sbin/init does exist on that new vm.
7 > and is executable.
8 >
9 > The disk setup is sda1=/boot sda2=swap sda3=/home sda4=/
12 My guess is that it is mounting the wrong filesystem as root. It
13 might be detecting /dev/sdb as /dev/sda. Also, the root device might
14 be named /dev/xda4 depending on the kernel/etc. Systemrescuecd isn't
15 using the same kernel/etc so it might not see the disks the same way.
16
17 An initramfs with root=UUID="505f850e-b26a-4d0f-a02f-6ba573a48ad8" (or
18 a label) would be a more reliable way to handle this, or you can
19 probably just fiddle with the device names until you stumble on the
20 right one.
24 Rich