From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boots, but not on first try
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 04:02:12
1 On Thursday, August 06, 2015 11:34:56 PM Felix Miata wrote:
2 > If I followed the kernel instructions page correctly, its E8400 Core2Duo
3 > wasn't in need of an initrd, and so did not get one. Main deviation from
4 > suggestions/defaults was enabling HPFS filesystems. Result was 6001056 byte
5 > 4.0.5. openSUSE Tumbleweed 4.0.5 kernel is virtually identical at 6004656,
6 > but there is also its 8712096 initrd.
7 >
8 > I reached the bottom of
9 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Bootloader and
10 > restarted host before clicking on link to next step. Before emerging
11 > recommendations in the Tools instructions page I took a timeout to emerge
12 mc.
13 > The process involved 22 packages, more than I had any idea mc depended on,
14 > but I guess that's at least partly because the installation to that point
15 was
16 > so very skeletal.
17 >
18 > I got ahead of things I suppose on the bootloader instructions, which
19 include
20 > no example for Grub 0.97. I did emerge -s grub to identify the package name,
21 > then did 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static' without first looking for any
22 > instructions, after which I somehow found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB
23 > and its instruction saying 'sys-boot/grub:0'. Having already emerged
24 > sys-boot/grub-static without the :0 appendage, I punted instead of looking
25 up
26 > meaning of :0, running 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static:0'. That produced
27 4
28 > beeps prior to emerge exit, which the previous emerge did not do. Next I set
29 > Grub up according to its man page: grub> find /boot/grub/stage1; grub> root
30 > (hd0,21); grub> setup (hd0,21), then adjusted grub.conf.
31 >
32 > First boot try I used Gentoo's Grub 0.97 (grub.conf) chainloaded from
33 > openSUSE's Grub 0.97-194 (menu.lst). Kernel quickly panic'd. I recognized
34 > nothing on the screen to indicate why, though I had seen such things before,
35 > among them, not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0).
36 > / filesystem is mkfs.ext4 created while running openSUSE kernel 3.12.44.
37 >
38 > Second try I used menu.lst. Fastest boot I've ever experienced!
39 >
40 > I then tweaked on grub.conf, but #3 try using it also panic'd (~@1.37), also
41 > producing no help I recognized.
42 >
43 > So now after some experimenting with cmdline arguments I'm on ~#10, headed
44 > into https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Finalizing ,
45 > wondering why a Gentoo sample/prototype-based Grub stanza produces panic.
46 >
47 > Panicing grub.conf cmdline arguments:
48 > root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 splash=0
49 > video=1024x768@60 3
50 >
51 > Working grub.conf cmdline arguments:
52 > root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 splash=0 video=1024x768@60 3
53 >
54 > Why is root=/dev/ram0 real_root= in the sample/prototype?
55
56 That looks like the command line for the initrd. change it to root=/dev/sda22,
57 if you have all the right modules for your HD built-in compiled it should
58 boot. If you still get that panic boot from a live cd and configure the kernel
59 with:
60
61 make localmodconfig
62
63 then:
64 make menuconfig
65 and check that the block device modules are built-in.
66
67 finally,
68
69 make