From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A config file for the magical combo of....
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 11:23:06
1 On 07/02/2018 01:36 PM, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Monday, 2 July 2018 19:20:29 BST Corbin Bird wrote:
4 >> On 07/01/2018 03:04 PM, Mick wrote:
5 >>> What do you mean "would not load"? From the live ISO?
6 >>>
7 >>> I had no such problem here on a bare metal install (no Windows) with
8 >>> sysrescuecd. You have to make sure the sysrescuecd is booting in UEFI
9 >>> mode
10 >>> before you proceed with the installation.
11 >>>
12 >> ( Clarification ) The UEFI implementation installed on my MB would not
13 >> load the VFAT driver.
14 > What error messages, indications, behaviour do you get and at what stage?
17 > Well, the Gentoo Live-CD may not be the best image to boot your hardware with.
18 > I'd give systemrescuecd a spin, it has never failed me so far, although a few
19 > years ago I had to perform some tricks to get it to boot into UEFI mode.
20 >
21 Answers to questions :
22
23 The VFAT driver in question is built-in to UEFI.
24 It is not the Linux kernel module you may be thinking of.
25
26 UEFI was a long list of built-in drivers.
27 Old BIOS based systems had a 1 or 2 Megabyte EPROM in use for the BIOS.
28 UEFI has 32, 64, or 128 Megabyte EPROMs on the motherboard == driver
29 storage space.
30
31 Remember DOS and all those drivers that had to be setup, just to get
32 basic hardware working?
33 UEFI is the equivalent of all those drivers being packaged into the
34 EPROM, with auto-config enabled.
35
36 The EFI Shell has a specific command that will "print-to-screen" all
37 loaded UEFI drivers.
38 That command was showing only the NTFS filesystem driver loading.
39
40 After Windows was installed on a second drive, the UEFI VFAT driver
41 started loading.
42 ( the Windows Boot Loader had installed itself into the UEFI )
43
44 My MB has the latest firmware from the factory.
45 Linux has to be run with "efi=old_map" appended to the kernel parameters.
46 ( Windows 8.1 UEFI memory map )
47
48 I was using the standard Gentoo install ISO, Minimal Installation CD.
49 Link : https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/
50 Memory is fuzzy ... I think I did try it in UEFI mode.
51
52 Next time I will try the systemrescuecd in UEFI mode instead.
53
54 Corbin