From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A config file for the magical combo of....
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 18:37:31
1 On Monday, 2 July 2018 19:20:29 BST Corbin Bird wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2018 03:04 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > What do you mean "would not load"? From the live ISO?
4 > >
5 > > I had no such problem here on a bare metal install (no Windows) with
6 > > sysrescuecd. You have to make sure the sysrescuecd is booting in UEFI
7 > > mode
8 > > before you proceed with the installation.
9 > >
10 > >> So ... Windows setup UEFI just fine. Gentoo is using GPT/GRUB.
11 > >> Every time I boot, the "Boot Menu" gets used to choose the OS.
12 > >>
13 > >> Corbin
14 > >
15 > > I am booting without a boot loader straight from UEFI as this not a
16 > > multiboot system. So, unless I interrupt it pressing F2 to get into UEFI
17 > > menu, it will boot into the default OS image, which is the latest I have
18 > > setup with efibootmgr.
19 >
20 > ( Clarification ) The UEFI implementation installed on my MB would not
21 > load the VFAT driver.
22
23 What error messages, indications, behaviour do you get and at what stage?
26 > I did use a Gentoo install ISO to do the setup. The CSM is set to UEFI.
27 > ( If I turn off the CSM, it disables both UEFI && Legacy for the Video /
28 > Drive Controller. )
29
30 Well, the Gentoo Live-CD may not be the best image to boot your hardware with.
31 I'd give systemrescuecd a spin, it has never failed me so far, although a few
32 years ago I had to perform some tricks to get it to boot into UEFI mode.
35 > The VFAT partition was unreadable by the MB / UEFI firmware, without the
36 > UEFI VFAT driver loading.
37 >
38 > Corbin
41 If what you are describing re. VFAT driver is a MoBo firmware bug, then I can
42 only suggest you upgrade to the latest version of OEM BIOS/UEFI firmware and
43 if that doesn't work you return the MoBo and get another make/model.
46 Regards,
47 Mick