From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are multiple emerges safe?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:08:14
1 On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 13:24 +0100, Huib van Wees wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1/30/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:48:34 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
5 >
6 > > Now I have got a related question: Imagine you have got one
7 > portage
8 > > tree on one box but several boxes that NFS mount it with
9 > different
10 > > world files. Will several parallel "emerge --fetchonly"
11 > processes on
12 > > those different boxes still be safe?
13 >
14 > Yes, because portage uses lockfiles in $DISTDIR. Once one
15 > emerge begins
16 > downloading a file, any others wanting that file will wait for
17 > it.
18 >
19 > I can remember that export the portage dir for other host wasn't
20 > supported and can cause problems.... Or did I missread/misinterpert
21 > the documentation?
24 > --
25 > Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
26 >
27 > H. van Wees
28 > ---
29 > The official Gentoo motto is, "If it moves, compile it."
30
31 I've exported /usr/portage through NFS from my server box to two client
32 boxes for a couple of years now, and I've never had any problems with
33 it...
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list