From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (sort of) strange things after upgrading the kernel
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 22:36:02
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 14 October 2012 15:46:43 Dale wrote:
3 >> Francisco Ares wrote:
4 >>> As my old kernel is from the 2.6 series and the new is from the
5 >>> 3.4, I decided to do a "menuconfig" from scratch. I do use "lspci"
6 >>> and also I always build the kernel allowing "/proc/config.gz", so
7 >>> it is easy to get exactly what is working, although I keep my own
8 >>> bacup copies of ".config", for future references. When I am
9 >>> building a kernel, I use to open the latest ".config" in a
10 >>> separate console, for reference. That has kept me of forgetting
11 >>> plenty of details.
12 >>>
13 >> I can understand why. There would have been a huge number of new
14 >> options to check on. Doing it from scratch with menuconfig could
15 >> have been just as fast or maybe even faster. May have been worth
16 >> trying but may have ended up with more issues.
17 > I found long ago that menuconfig flags new options with [NEW] to the right
18 > of the option name, so it's easy to find out what's changed since you
19 > last ran a config operation. That can easily reduce a several-hours config
20 > job to no more than half an hour. Still quite a task, but not in the
21 > same league as configuring from scratch.
25 It does but you have to go through each menu to see what is new and what
26 is not and that's a lot of menus and submenus etc, etc. It still
27 increases the odds of missing something. Heck, even tho I use lspci -k
28 to make sure I have everything included for hardware, there is always
29 some piece of software that wants something added. Those are really
30 hard to keep track of, unless you make a lot of notes. That's where
31 oldconfig comes in since it only adjusts the new stuff and leaves the
32 old stuff like it was.
33
34 Using oldconfig is the fastest and easiest and as a general rule gives
35 you a good kernel. But when you are upgrading from that many version
36 ago, you could end up with something flakey or other odd things.
37
38 I think the OP likely did the best thing by just starting over. Also,
39 maybe now he knows to upgrade a little more often. lol We often learn
40 this the hard way. Just like when people don't sync and upgrade the OS
41 for a year or two. Depending on changes, reinstalling may be easier
42 depending on what issues have cropped up in that time and how fast a rig
43 can compile things. Again, it just depends on the situation and even
44 then can be a toss up as to which is the right way to go. Those of us
45 that have been around here a long time have seen people try to update a
46 badly out of date OS just to run into so many issues that they end up
47 reinstalling again anyway. The time spent trying to fix it can be
48 longer than just starting over sometimes. Not to mention having hair
49 left. ;-)
50
51 Me, I might would have tried it but not going to argue over it. The OP
52 is up and running and that is the important thing. It was only a few
53 electrons that were bent out of shape. lol
54
55 Dale
56
60 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!