From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (sort of) strange things after upgrading the kernel
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:56:05
1 On Sunday 14 October 2012 15:46:43 Dale wrote:
2 > Francisco Ares wrote:
3 > > As my old kernel is from the 2.6 series and the new is from the
4 > > 3.4, I decided to do a "menuconfig" from scratch. I do use "lspci"
5 > > and also I always build the kernel allowing "/proc/config.gz", so
6 > > it is easy to get exactly what is working, although I keep my own
7 > > bacup copies of ".config", for future references. When I am
8 > > building a kernel, I use to open the latest ".config" in a
9 > > separate console, for reference. That has kept me of forgetting
10 > > plenty of details.
11 > >
12 > I can understand why. There would have been a huge number of new
13 > options to check on. Doing it from scratch with menuconfig could
14 > have been just as fast or maybe even faster. May have been worth
15 > trying but may have ended up with more issues.
16
17 I found long ago that menuconfig flags new options with [NEW] to the right
18 of the option name, so it's easy to find out what's changed since you
19 last ran a config operation. That can easily reduce a several-hours config
20 job to no more than half an hour. Still quite a task, but not in the
21 same league as configuring from scratch.
24 Rgds
25 Peter