From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 15:35:52
1 On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:13:12 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > On 2013-04-02, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:31:10 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> In Flameyes blog, he showed an example of using udev rules pretty
7 > >> much identical to the ones I already had, so I couldn't figure out
8 > >> what was different (other than the default interface names, which
9 > >> still aren't really predictable).
10 > >
11 > > They are totally predictable,
12 >
13 > As long as you know the PCI bus IDs of the slots, which board is
14 > plugged into which slot, the PCI bus IDs of the USB controllers, and
15 > which USB ports are connected to which controllers, and so on. For
16 > most of us that equates to "not predictable". :)
17
18 We're at cross-purposes here. You mentioned udev rules, which I took to
19 mean user-installed rules in /etc/udev. The names udev comes up with in
20 the absence of any rules are not completely predictable, nor persistent.
21
22 [snip more cross-purpose confusion]
23
24 > > The simplest solution is to do what the news item suggests, rename
25 > > the persistent-net rules file
26 >
27 > Why does the file need to be renamed?
28
29 > > and rename the interfaces within it to not clash with the kernel.
30 >
31 > So the kernel is still using the names eth[0-n]? And there's a race
32 > condition if I use the names eth[0-n] in my rules? Same as before?
33
34 Have you read the news item? It explains why the file should be renamed
35 and also why you should change the names in the rules to not use ethN.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 My Go this amn keyboar oesn't have any 's.