From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 15:13:51
1 On 2013-04-02, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:31:10 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> In Flameyes blog, he showed an example of using udev rules pretty much
5 >> identical to the ones I already had, so I couldn't figure out what was
6 >> different (other than the default interface names, which still aren't
7 >> really predictable).
8 >
9 > They are totally predictable,
10
11 As long as you know the PCI bus IDs of the slots, which board is
12 plugged into which slot, the PCI bus IDs of the USB controllers, and
13 which USB ports are connected to which controllers, and so on. For
14 most of us that equates to "not predictable". :)
15
16 The one thing (AFAICT) that does sort of make them what I would call
17 "predictable" is the support for BIOS labels for ports. I've never
18 actually seen a machine that supported that.
19
20 > since the names are specified in the rules, so you can predict what
21 > the interface will be called,
22
23 In _theory_ you can, but you need to gather a lot of very low-level
24 information first. In practice, I bet nobody does that -- they just
25 boot up the kernel and see what they get.
26
27 > it's what the rules file says it will be called. However, the
28 > important issue is persistence, whatever name an interface has is the
29 > name it will always have.
30
31 Until you move it to a different USB port or PCI slot. Names still
32 aren't persistent (or, in practical terms, predictable), they're just
33 based on a different parameter than they used to be. For some people
34 the new 'prameter' is apparently more useful -- so I guess it's an
35 improvement.
36
37 > The rules renaming within the kernel namespace, eth, wlan etc, could
38 > not guarantee that because of race conditions, and the so-called
39 > persistent names from the new udev still cannot do the same for
40 > devices that can be physically moved (mainly USB).
41 >
42 > The simplest solution is to do what the news item suggests, rename
43 > the persistent-net rules file
44
45 Why does the file need to be renamed?
46
47 > and rename the interfaces within it to not clash with the kernel.
48
49 So the kernel is still using the names eth[0-n]? And there's a race
50 condition if I use the names eth[0-n] in my rules? Same as before?
51
52 > That's all you need to worry about when going from 197 to 200,
53 > upgrading from earlier versions means you should act on the parts
54 > about DEVTMPFS and runlevel files.
57 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My life is a patio
58 at of fun!
59 gmail.com