From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:36:49
1 On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:31:10 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > In Flameyes blog, he showed an example of using udev rules pretty much
4 > identical to the ones I already had, so I couldn't figure out what was
5 > different (other than the default interface names, which still aren't
6 > really predictable).
7
8 They are totally predictable, since the names are specified in the rules,
9 so you can predict what the interface will be called, it's what the rules
10 file says it will be called. However, the important issue is persistence,
11 whatever name an interface has is the name it will always have. The rules
12 renaming within the kernel namespace, eth, wlan etc, could not guarantee
13 that because of race conditions, and the so-called persistent names from
14 the new udev still cannot do the same for devices that can be physically
15 moved (mainly USB).
16
17 The simplest solution is to do what the news item suggests, rename the
18 persistent-net rules file and rename the interfaces within it to not
19 clash with the kernel. That's all you need to worry about when going from
20 197 to 200, upgrading from earlier versions means you should act on the
21 parts about DEVTMPFS and runlevel files.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Am I ignorant or apathetic? I don't know and don't care!