From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:31:51
1 On 2013-04-02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > No, you are stilling misunderstanding.
4
5 He's not the only one.
6
7 > The news item goes to great lengths to explain that there is a new
8 > way and it is different from the old way.
9
10 I did grok that much. I had a 70-persistent-net.rules file that named
11 my three interfaces "eth0" "eth1" and "eth2" based on their MAC
12 addresses. After reading the news item and flameeyes blog, I was still
13 pretty much at a loss regarding what I was actually supposed to _do_.
14
15 In Flameyes blog, he showed an example of using udev rules pretty much
16 identical to the ones I already had, so I couldn't figure out what was
17 different (other than the default interface names, which still aren't
18 really predictable).
19
20 In the end, I just did the upgrade and rebooted. My existing rules
21 seemed to work fine: the interfaces came up with the same names as
22 before. So I gave up trying to figure it out...
25 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Of course, you
26 at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS
27 gmail.com in the SPIN CYCLE --