From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 19:59:14
1 On 02/04/2013 21:41, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-04-02 3:21 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 02-Apr-13 21:13, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Peter Humphrey
5 >>> <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>>> The most important para to me in the news item was: "The feature can
7 >>>> also be
8 >>>> completely disabled using net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line."
9 >>>> I just
10 >>>> added that to my grub.conf entries and I sail blissfully on with eth0.
11 >>>
12 >>> I updated remote virtual server (xen guest) and added this same
13 >>> option, crossed my fingers and rebooted, eth0 was still there and I
14 >>> was happy.
15 >>
16 >> I think it is not necessary to add any options. If after upgrading
17 >> to udev200 you do not do anything, after reboot you still have eth0.
18 >> "Empty" 80-net-name-slot.rules takes care of it...
19 >
20 > ?
21 >
22 > Are you saying that now, with udev-200, the default is the OLD way, and
23 > you have to intentionally enable the NEW way??
24 >
25 > This is mind-boggling.
28 No, you are stilling misunderstanding. The news item goes to great
29 lengths to explain that there is a new way and it is different from the
30 old way.
31
32 Jarry mentioned an EMPTY file, not an absent file. The ebuild does not
33 install an empty file, so it is not the default.
34
35 All the questions you have raised are clearly explained in the news
36 item. Please read it and study it, it really is complete. You appear to
37 be confusing yourself by adding things that are not there.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com