From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo from another Linux distro
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:20:40
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 03:44:58 -0700, Grant wrote:
2
3 > If the preinstalled distro has a partition table like this, I won't be
4 > able to make a separate partition for Gentoo. If the preinstalled
5 > distro has separate large partitions, I will be able to install Gentoo
6 > on one of the partitions, but I won't ever be able to set up a
7 > partition table like the above with one big root partition.
8
9 You will, as long as the distro you use for installation is not on the
10 first partition. Then you can install Gentoo on the first partition,
11 make sure it works and then remove the partition containing the original
12 distro and resize your root.
13
14 But why do you want everything n a single partition? This is a more risky
15 setup with a remote server, because any filesystem corruption could make
16 the system unbootable. I'd have a small root partition and everything
17 else on LVM. Then even if /usr or /var is toast, you can still boot in
18 single mode.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 He's dead, Jim. Just like your career.