From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making my own router
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:44:01
1 On 21:42 Thu 06 Oct , Mark wrote:
2 > I'd like to build a gentoo box to act as a single router between a
3 > hardware firewall (appliance) and two internal separate network segments.
4 > The goal is to allow both internal segments to access the Internet via the
5 > same firewall, but not allow them to see eachother.
6 >
7 > Here's my general idea - please tell me if it makes sense so far.
8
9 Your outline looks good. Haven't ever used a hardware firewall, though.
10
11 My setup is a firewall/router, external port to dsl modem, two internal,
12 one wired, one wireless. I bridged the two internals into a single subnet.
13
14 I used:
15
16 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml
17
18 as my guide, then did some googling on bridging for the rest. Works great!
19
20 By the way, I used iptables for the firewall, but there is some terrific
21 documentation for shorewall, which you might find a bit easier.
22
23 Bill Roberts