From: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] making my own router
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:49:16
1 I'd like to build a gentoo box to act as a single router between a hardware
2 firewall (appliance) and two internal separate network segments. The goal is
3 to allow both internal segments to access the Internet via the same
4 firewall, but not allow them to see eachother.
5
6 Here's my general idea - please tell me if it makes sense so far.
7
8 1. Cable modem connected to ISP
9 2. Hardware firewall connected to cable modem on Internet port, and an
10 internal port to eth0 on the Gentoo box
11 3. Gentoo box has 3 NICs: eth0 connected to the hardware firewall's internal
12 lan port. eth1 connected to switch for internal lan segment 1. eth2
13 connected to switch for internal lan segment 2
14 4. Configure the NICs as follows:
15 eth0 and firewall internal port are in
16 192.168.0.0/24<http://192.168.0.0/24>subnet
17 eth1 is in 192.168.1.0/24 <http://192.168.1.0/24> subnet
18 eth2 is in 192.168.2.0/24 <http://192.168.2.0/24> subnet
19
20 Sound OK so far?
21
22 Next steps I think are figuring out how to provide DHCP to both internal
23 subnets from the same Gentoo box, and what gateway address(es) the clients
24 should use. Finally, I need to be able to do port-forwarding from the
25 outside to a specific host on one of the internal subnets. Can I do that?
26
27 One quandary I have is regarding the hardware firewall. We have money
28 invested in it, but does it buy me anything now that we are creating the 2
29 separate subnets? Should I just sell it and let the Gentoo box be the
30 firewall as well?
31
32 Thanks for any insight, as always.
33 --
34 Mark
35 [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]