From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:24:41
1 On 2013-07-31 8:41 AM, Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 31/07/13 at 08:30am, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> So, how should this be used to 'opt out of systemd completely'?
4 >
5 > from main make.conf
6 > "Use this variable if you want to selectively prevent certain
7 > files from being copied into your file system tree. .."
8 >
9 > You can use it to prevent ebuilds from installing unit files
10 > or open-rc scripts from doing so (based on what you want to opt-out of).
11
12 Well, no offense, but that is gobbledy-greek to non programmers.
13
14 I would have no idea *how* to 'prevent ebuilds from installing unit
15 files...'.
16
17 If this really is 'the one true way' to 'totally opt out of systemd',
18 then in my opinion there should be a very thorough example of *how* to
19 'opt out of systemd' included in the man page.
20
21 Side-question...
22
23 I'm wondering if one of the reasons that the dev who was making such a
24 big deal of this was mainly concerned about the 'slipper slope' factor,
25 and saw some writing on the wall that the systemd devs were just playing
26 nice just to get their foot in the door, then were going to pull some
27 tricks to force changes that would eventually result in *everyone* (even
28 those using eudev) to *have* to switch to systemd some time in the future?
29
30 Not saying this is how it is, but I'm more than a bit concerned about this.