From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 21:58:47
1 On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:42:01 +0100
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > with redhat's push to move everything into /usr - why not stop right
5 > there and move everything back into /?
6 >
7 > seperate /home, /var, /dev and /tmp makes sense (not counting proc,
8 > sys for obvious reasons). But the rest? Why /usr/lib? Just /lib
9 > would be fine. Remember how once there was a whole X11 subtree
10 > in /usr? /usr/tmp - wtf? Just empty /usr and be happy...
11 >
12 > I wish I could do that...
15 Well at least you don't have to put up with /usr/X11 anymore :-)
16
17 That took ripping out the entire XFree86 build system and replacing it
18 with something at least half-way sane that supported --prefix
19
20 I'm not too concerned with modern /usr on the whole, the layout is
21 something I can tolerate.
22
23 What *really* gets my goat up is /var/lib. Now what on this earth
24 could /var/lib/ possibly be useful for???? Surely not libs, those go
25 in /usr/lib or /lib. If it's variable data somehow related to libs
26 then someone needs to look up lib in a dictionary.
27
28 If it really is lib code, then my question is "how exactly is this
29 stuff variable to warrant being in /var?"
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com