From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} backups... still backups....
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:56:05
1 I used reiserfs3 (very good) and now btrfs (so-so, but getting better) -
2 stay away from anything ext* - they fall apart under the load eventually
3 losing the lot ... the filesystem gets hammered when its creating tons
4 of hardlinks. From personal experiance I have a very poor view on ext2
5 and ext3 ... less experience (and failures!) with ext4 though as I avoid
6 ext* on principle now where I can.
7
8 First copy takes the same space as the original, subsequent only
9 includes changes (as hard links for existing files use zero space.)
10 Over time, it stabilises at ~2x the original size for full gentoo
11 systems with regular updates (configurable, I keep +2weeks daily, and
12 +6months Sunday backups - dirvish-expire can be a weekly cron job to
13 cull expired versions) My current setup uses a manually run script
14 (simple bash) to pull the wanted directories from a number of vm's and a
15 desktop. I used to do it automatically but until I stabilise my network
16 changes its easier manually.
17
18 Development looks slow/old from their website, but the activity is
19 elsewhere.
20
21 BillK
22
23 * from the dirvish web site "In other news, I've learned from the
24 director of the Oregon State University Open Source Lab that they will
25 be backing up their servers with dirvish. These servers are the primary
26 mirror sites for Mozilla, Kernel.org, Gentoo, Drupal, and other major
27 open source projects. " - if its good enough for them, its good enough ...