From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 has landed
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:49:27
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:11:27PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > Right now I use some package.mask-list from a posting in the
4 > gentoo-forums .... I'd be happy if the maintainers would provide us with
5 > a way to easily chose to stay w/ <gnome-3 somehow (without maintaining a
6 > long list of packages to mask).
7 >
8 > Stefan
11 Though I don’t use either Gnome version, I believe that we are quite safe with
12 Gentoo for a while longer, as compared with most other distros out there. At
13 least that is what I remember from my KDE experience; (almost) all distros
14 jumped on the KDE 4 waggon as soon as the still unusable 4.1 and let KDE 3
15 fall instantly without alternative.
16
17 OTOH, Gentoo remained with KDE3 as the main version for a comparably long time,
18 and I am very grateful for that. And even after KDE4 became “stable” in
19 portage, we could still use both in parallel for even longer before KDE3 was
20 finally removed from portage. I think I made the final and complete switch as
21 late as 4.3 or 4.4.
22 --
23 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
24 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
25
26 Chefs sind wie Pauken: Je hohler sie sind, desto lauter tönen sie.