From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] couple of newbie questions about emerge
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:38:24
1 OK, thanks guys this get me going -- I think I will emerge the toolkit
2 and see what that gives me.
3
4 on Sunday 01/07/2007 Daniel Iliev(danny@××××××××.com) wrote
5 > John covici wrote:
6 > > Hi. I am new to gentoo -- I have used Debian and rpm type
7 > > distributions, but I have a fewquestions about emerge.
8 > >
9 > > 1) Any way to get a package list as one line per package like
10 > > debian's dpkg -l or rpm's rpm -qa ? The --info gives info about
11 > > the system, but does not seem to give a list of packages.
12 > >
13 > > 2) How do I ensure that all dependencies of a package are updated --
14 > > does --update --deep do this and would --update --deep world or
15 > > system do this?
16 > >
17 > > 3) Where are the packages listed for system? For instance I
18 > > installed coldplug and it installed pciutils, but that package is
19 > > not listed in world -- should it be? Or is it a system package?
20 > >
21 > > OK, that's it for now -- thanks much in advance for your help.
25 > 1) "emerge -ep world" should list all currently installed packages
26 > 2) yes, "emerge -uD world" keeps your system up-todate
27 > 3) "emerge -ep system" gives you the base system packages. In the
28 > example you gave "pciutils" is installed as a depandecy. Following this
29 > case if yu decide to uninstall coldplug ( "emerge -C coldplug") then
30 > "pciutils" would remain in your system as an orphaned package. Use
31 > "emerge --depclean" to remove such packages.
32 >
33 > I'm kindly recommending you to read *"man emerge"*, "man portage", "man
34 > make.conf".
35 >
36 > --
37 > Best regards,
38 > Daniel
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
45 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
46 How do
47 you spend it?
48
49 John Covici