From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] couple of newbie questions about emerge
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:07:17
1 John covici wrote:
2 > Hi. I am new to gentoo -- I have used Debian and rpm type
3 > distributions, but I have a fewquestions about emerge.
4 >
5 > 1) Any way to get a package list as one line per package like
6 > debian's dpkg -l or rpm's rpm -qa ? The --info gives info about
7 > the system, but does not seem to give a list of packages.
8 >
9 > 2) How do I ensure that all dependencies of a package are updated --
10 > does --update --deep do this and would --update --deep world or
11 > system do this?
12 >
13 > 3) Where are the packages listed for system? For instance I
14 > installed coldplug and it installed pciutils, but that package is
15 > not listed in world -- should it be? Or is it a system package?
16 >
17 > OK, that's it for now -- thanks much in advance for your help.
21 1) "emerge -ep world" should list all currently installed packages
22 2) yes, "emerge -uD world" keeps your system up-todate
23 3) "emerge -ep system" gives you the base system packages. In the
24 example you gave "pciutils" is installed as a depandecy. Following this
25 case if yu decide to uninstall coldplug ( "emerge -C coldplug") then
26 "pciutils" would remain in your system as an orphaned package. Use
27 "emerge --depclean" to remove such packages.
28
29 I'm kindly recommending you to read *"man emerge"*, "man portage", "man
30 make.conf".
33 Best regards,
34 Daniel
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list