From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:17:08
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
7 >>> on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
8 >>>
9 >> This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or two,
10 >> your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
14 > It does to me. I want to keep things so that if there is a problem, I
15 > know how to fix it or can at least get to a point that I can get help on
16 > it. If LVM fails and I can't boot, then I loose everything on LVM
17 > because I would have to reinstall from scratch. If it fails just on my
18 > data stuff, I can get help and fix it because I can still boot up and
19 > get to my email program. Also, I have the important stuff backed up to
20 > DVD. I would only loose things that I can download again. I would just
21 > rather avoid that and I'm sure AT&T would agree. That's a lot of
22 > downloading.
23
24 I have all my partitions on LVM except the boot partition. I've used LVM
25 for more years than I could count and have *never* had a failure related
26 to LVM.
27
28 I backup my machines to an external drive (2 backup drives actually)
29 using rsync.
30
31 If I have a failure and cannot boot then I just put in my Gentoo Minimal
32 CD (which has all the LVM tools available) and I can fix the damage. If
33 the damage isn't fixable then I can just copy over the backups.
34
35 LVM snapshots make live backups a breeze. Backups are always in a
36 consistent state and I've tested them and they *work*.
39 Regards,
40 Gregory.