From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 05:30:18
1 Howdy all,
2
3 Little update here.  Rich, I think you mentioned it would slow down when
4 it ran out of PMR space while trying to redo the shingled part.  Up
5 until now, I hadn't ran into that issue.  It seems the PMR section for
6 this drive is somewhere around 40 or 50GBs, maybe 60GBs.  I hadn't had
7 time for backups in over a week so it was a good bit larger than usual.
8 It was around 70GBs, maybe 75.  When it got close to the end of the
9 rsync process, I noticed it slowed down quite a bit.  I'd guess about
10 half or so.  Usually it runs at around 180 to 190MBs/sec for larger
11 files.  Pretty close to the end, rsync was showing around 100MBs/sec at
12 best.  It was a little over on some but mostly a little below that.
13 Earlier in the process, it was the normal speed.
14
15 I might add, even tho the copy process has been done for a while now, 20
16 minutes or more, I can still feel that little bumpy thing it does.  It
17 seems to have stopped while typing that in.  Unless it is taking a break
18 and starts up again.  ;-)
19
20 Still, for this use case, it works OK.  I wouldn't want SMR on my /home
21 or some other partition that needs to be fairly fast at all times.  For
22 windoze users, well, they used to that slow down and freezes so they
23 wouldn't notice the difference.  ROFL
24
25 Dale
26