From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:26:13
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 16/06/20 10:04, Dale wrote:
3 >> I might add, I don't have LVM on that drive. I read it does not work
4 >> well with LVM, RAID etc as you say. Most likely, that drive will always
5 >> be a external drive for backups or something. If it ever finds itself
6 >> on the OS or /home, it'll be a last resort.
7 > LVM it's probably fine with. Raid, MUCH less so. What you need to make
8 > sure does NOT happen is a lot of random writes. That might make deleting
9 > an lvm snapshot slightly painful ...
10 >
11 > But adding a SMR drive to an existing ZFS raid is a guarantee for pain.
12 > I don't know why, but "resilvering" causes a lot of random writes. I
13 > don't think md-raid behaves this way.
14 >
15 > But it's the very nature of raid that, as soon as something goes wrong
16 > and a drive needs replacing, everything is going to get hammered. And
17 > SMR drives don't take kindly to being hammered ... :-)
18 >
19 > Even in normal use, a SMR drive is going to cause grief if it's not
20 > handled carefully.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
24
25 From what I've read, I agree.  Basically, as some have posted in
26 different places, SMR drives are good when writing once and leaving it
27 alone.  Basically, about like a DVD-R.  From what I've read, let's say I
28 moved a lot of videos around, maybe moved the directory structure
29 around, which means a lot of data to move.  I think I'd risk just
30 putting a new file system on it and then backup everything from
31 scratch.  It may take a little longer given the amount of data but it
32 would be easier on the drive.  It would keep it from hammering as you
33 put it that drive to death.
34
35 I've also read about the resilvering problems too.  I think LVM
36 snapshots and something about BTFS(sp?) has problems.  I've also read
37 that on windoze, it can cause a system to freeze while it is trying to
38 rewrite the moved data too.  It gets so slow, it actually makes the OS
39 not respond.  I suspect it could happen on Linux to if the conditions
40 are right.
41
42 I guess this is about saving money for the drive makers.  The part that
43 seems to really get under peoples skin tho, them putting those drives
44 out there without telling people that they made changes that affect
45 performance.  It's bad enough for people who use them where they work
46 well but the people that use RAID and such, it seems to bring them to
47 their knees at times.  I can't count the number of times I've read that
48 people support a class action lawsuit over shipping SMR without telling
49 anyone.  It could happen and I'm not sure it shouldn't.  People using
50 RAID and such, especially in some systems, they need performance not
51 drives that beat themselves to death.
52
53 My plan, avoid SMR if at all possible.  Right now, I just don't need the
54 headaches.  The one I got, I'm lucky it works OK, even if it does bump
55 around for quite a while after backups are done.
56
57 My new to me hard drive is still testing.  Got a few more hours left
58 yet.  Then I'll run some more tests.  It seems to be OK tho.
59
60 Dale
61