From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 23:24:34
1 On 16/06/2020 12:26, Dale wrote:
2 > I've also read about the resilvering problems too.  I think LVM
3 > snapshots and something about BTFS(sp?) has problems.  I've also read
4 > that on windoze, it can cause a system to freeze while it is trying to
5 > rewrite the moved data too.  It gets so slow, it actually makes the OS
6 > not respond.  I suspect it could happen on Linux to if the conditions
7 > are right.
8 >
9 Being all technical, what seems to be happening is ...
10
11 Random writes fillup the PMR cache. The drive starts flushing the cache,
12 but unfortunately you need a doubly linked list or something - you need
13 to be able to find the physical block from the logical address (for
14 reading) and to find the logical block from the physical address (for
15 cache-flushing). So once the cache fills, the drive needs "down time" to
16 move stuff around, and it stops responding to the bus. There are reports
17 of disk stalls of 10 minutes or more - bear in mind desktop drives are
18 classed as unsuitable for raid because they stall for *up* *to* *two*
19 minutes ...
20
21 > I guess this is about saving money for the drive makers.  The part that
22 > seems to really get under peoples skin tho, them putting those drives
23 > out there without telling people that they made changes that affect
24 > performance.  It's bad enough for people who use them where they work
25 > well but the people that use RAID and such, it seems to bring them to
26 > their knees at times.  I can't count the number of times I've read that
27 > people support a class action lawsuit over shipping SMR without telling
28 > anyone.  It could happen and I'm not sure it shouldn't.  People using
29 > RAID and such, especially in some systems, they need performance not
30 > drives that beat themselves to death.
31
32 Most manufacturers haven't been open, but at least - apart from WD -
33 they haven't been stupid either. Bear in mind WD actively market their
34 Red drives as suitable for NAS or Raid, putting SMR in there was
35 absolutely dumb. Certainly in the UK, as soon as news starts getting
36 round, they'll probably find themselves (or rather their retailers will
37 get shafted with) loads of returns as "unfit for purpose". And,
38 basically, they have a legal liability with no leg to stand on because
39 if a product doesn't do what it's advertised for, then the customer is
40 *entitled* to a refund.
41
42 Dunno why, I've never been a WD fan, so I dodged that bullet. I just
43 caught another one, because I regularly advise people they shouldn't be
44 running Barracudas, while running two myself ... :-)
45
46 Cheers,
47 Wol