From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Replacements for ivman
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:47:34
1 Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > How have you got it set up and how long has it been that way?
5 Experienced any
6 > > brokenness while it's been in use?
7
8 > Basically, I just emerged it and restarted KDE. It just worked. I
9 > don't recall changing anything as far as configs go.
10
11 > It has been that way for a pretty long while. I did have a version
12 > problem once a while back. I think it was when udev made some changes
13 > or something, but hal and ivman sort of had a fight over devices like my
14 > camera. Hard drives were fine tho.
17 Yep, same thing here
18
19 rc-status:
20 dbus
21 hald
22 ivman
23
24 It just seems to work. A while back I tried to find accurate and current docs.
25 That's when I got confused. It really would be nice if this was all documented
26 well somewhere. Occassionally, a usb device is not discovered, and then
27 I manually try to find traces of it, using a variety of usual tools. If not
28 successful then I result to brute force searches of /dev .....
29
30 Most often, Konqueror, not my browser or choice, pops up when a unknown
31 usb devices is popped up. That my starting point and it works most
32 of the time.
35 I'd personally settle for a master index of products and devices
36 and a manual udev entry example to accompany said product/device;
37 as a catchall type of xml/database, for the millions of devices
38 out there.....
39
40 Going from manual discover to a working udev rule, has always been
41 a painful process for me.
42
43 hth,
44