From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:18:20
1 On 07/30/2013 11:32 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 07/30/2013 01:16 PM, hasufell wrote:
3 >> And we need MOAR devs
4 >>
5 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
6 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
7 >>
8 >> so awesome! srsly!
9 >>
10 >> What many people don't seem to get is: you don't need to be a commit
11 >> monkey doing your 100+ commits per week.
12 >> Our minimum rate of commits is pretty low before you actually are forced
13 >> to retire.
14 >>
15 >> Better have a lot of devs each one focussing on a few packages than
16 >> having few devs working on the entire tree and messing up things randomly.
17 >>
18 >> It's not that much work, just some regular attention. You want to join!
21 > I was interested in becoming a dev for a little while, but the testing
22 > and what looks to be prolonged process kinda put me off of the idea. It
23 > just seems like a lot of bureaucratic work. Perhaps my impression is
24 > wrong, though...
25
26 Yes, your impression is wrong.
27
28 You can:
29
30 a) file bugs
31 b) attach your ebuilds to bug reports (either demanding inclusion or
32 fixing a bug, etc...)
33 c) proxy-maintain a package (say in the bug report that you are willing
34 to do that)
35 d) start contributing to sunrise (join #gentoo-sunrise) and get noticed
36 or participate in #gentoo-dev-help
37 e) just be bold and tell us we need you; it's good if you already have
38 an overlay and some experience or worked on bugzilla ebuilds a lot
41 > Which projects are most in need of developers or maintainers? I wouldn't
42 > mind learning a bit more about package maintenance, portage, and ebuilds...
46 an incomplete list of herds needing help from my own perspective:
47
48 - perl herd is officially asking for help
49 - lang-misc consists of _one_ dev (we can also need help with packages
50 like dev-lang/elixir, dev-lang/fpc and dev-lang/dmd, dmd not being in
51 the tree yet for that very reason)
52 - science herd is unable to import most of their ebuilds into the tree,
53 so they stay in the science overlay. That sucks. More people.
54 - gnome is really underpowered, hence the trouble with gnome3
55
56 if it's about projects, then well... maybe "gentoo alt" (bsd and
57 prefix), arch testers or even kernel (kernel package maintainers don't
58 have the resources anymore to stabilize vanilla-sources). Also: if you
59 are good with python, you want to contribute to portage... very few
60 people work on that and it's not getting less work. Our security system
61 lacks some responsiveness imo due to being underpowered, we can improve
62 that.
63
64 GENTOO IS AWESOME!