From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox in headless configuration broken after update: delayed echo [ RESOLVED, kinda ]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 04:48:32
1 On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 11:08:23 PM CEST n952162 wrote:
2 > On 06/16/20 22:36, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On 16 June 2020 21:07:56 CEST, n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 > >> On 06/10/20 15:19, n952162 wrote:
5 > >>> I updated my system and now characters typed into vbox over ssh are
6 > >>> not echo-ed until *after* a CR is entered.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> I diffed the stty output, to see if I could spot anything:
9 > >>>
10 > >>> 10~>cat /tmp/sttydiff
11 > >>> 2,3c2,3
12 > >>> < rows 37
13 > >>> < columns 100
14 > >>> ---
15 > >>>
16 > >>>> rows 44
17 > >>>> columns 88
18 > >>>
19 > >>> 21d20
20 > >>> < discard = ^O
21 > >>> 23c22,23
22 > >>> < min = 1
23 > >>> ---
24 > >>>
25 > >>>> discard = ^O
26 > >>>>
27 > >>>> min = 1
28 > >>>
29 > >>> 30c30
30 > >>> < hupcl
31 > >>> ---
32 > >>>
33 > >>>> -hupcl
34 > >>>
35 > >>> 36c36
36 > >>> < brkint
37 > >>> ---
38 > >>>
39 > >>>> -brkint
40 > >>>
41 > >>> 48,49c48,49
42 > >>> < imaxbel
43 > >>> < iutf8
44 > >>> ---
45 > >>>
46 > >>>> -imaxbel
47 > >>>> -iutf8
48 > >>>
49 > >>> Also, the font seems to be screwed up, because the last line of the
50 > >>> window only shows the top half of the line.
51 > >>>
52 > >>> Anybody else encounter this or know what's wrong?
53 > >>>
54 > >>> Vbox seems to work okay when run locally, on the machine it's
55 > >>> installed on.
56 > >>
57 > >> I think this is resolved, kinda.
58 > >> I just discovered that if I turn off the vbox menu bar, the command
59 > >> entry line works properly again, both in X-less console mode and in X.
60 > >>
61 > >> Settings -> User Interface -> Enable menu bar (disable this)
62 > >>
63 > >> I've always had that menu bar, and need it, so something got
64 > >> changed/broken, and I still have a problem, but at least now I don't
65 > >> have to enter commands in blindly.
66 > >
67 > > Are these Virtualbox VMs critical?
68 > > If yes, I would suggest migrating them to a more reliable virtualisation
69 > > technology.
70 > >
71 > > I do not consider Virtualbox suitable for anything but a desktop based VM
72 > > method for a quick test or simulation.
73 > >
74 > > Gor anything serious, I would suggest Xen, KVM or VMWare.
75 > >
76 > > --
77 > > Joost
78 >
79 > Well, no, they're really not critical, but your comment surprises me.
80 > I've been using vbox for years, on various assignments, and never
81 > encountered anything else. Can you say a word or two to that, or
82 > provide a URL? Which free vm is "the best"?
83
84 I never bothered bookmarking URLs about this, but can elaborate on my
85 reasoning and experience.
86
87 Virtualbox is a nice product and I do use it when it is convenient. It is
88 perfect for quickly starting a VM to test something. It integrates nicely with
89 the desktop to be able to quickly copy/paste data across and also easy to
90 connect to the filesystem on the host.
91
92 This also mentions the reason why it is NOT suitable for actual production
93 use. It is a virtualisation tool for a desktop.
94
95 If you want your VMs to run as fast and stable as possible, you want the host
96 to be as minimal as possible. This means:
97 - it runs headless (no GUI, just text) and the host has only 1 task: Run VMs.
98 - it doesn't contain anything else (only exception is stuff for monitoring)
99
100 Virtualbox does not (afaik) support block-devices for VMs. It only supports
101 file-based disks. This is fine as it allows you to "quickly" move these to
102 different storage. But it adds another layer between the hardware and VM
103 (filesystem on the host) which adds it's own write-caching and potential
104 corruption (I have had this on several occasions).
105
106 The virtualisation systems I mentioned in my previous email (Xen, KVM, VMWare)
107 all support block-devices and sit as close to hardware as is possible. In the
108 case of VMWare, I am talking about the server product, not the desktop
109 product. The VMWare desktop product has the same problems as VirtualBox.
110
111 As for which free one is best, I am reluctant to answer specifically as both
112 Xen and KVM are good.
113
114 Personally, I use Xen. I have been using it since one of the 2.x versions and
115 KVM didn't exist back then.
116 Xen has the hypervisor in a small "kernel" and the host runs as a VM with full
117 privileges. You can add additional privileges VMs to provide storage, further
118 seperating tasks between VMs.
119 Citrix also provides a free version of their Xen-product which can be managed
120 remotely, but their remote-tool is windows-only last time I checked. I run Xen
121 on top of Gentoo and manage everything from the CLI.
122
123 KVM runs inside a Linux kernel and this instance automatically is the host. (I
124 don't know enough to properly compare the 2, there are plenty of resources
125 about comparisons online, most are biased to one or the other)
126
127 Both Xen and KVM can be managed with other tools like virt-manager. I don't as
128 I don't like the way those tools want to manage the whole environment.
129
130 As for use of these systems, when only looking at companies where I have
131 experience with:
132
133 - VMWare is often used for virtualising servers
134 - Xen (Citrix) is often used to provide Virtual Desktop to users
135 - KVM is used by most VPS providers
136 - Virtualbox is used for training sessions
137
138 I have not come across MS HyperV outside of small businesses that need some
139 local VMs. These companies tend to put all their infrastructure with one of
140 the big cloud-VM providers (Like AWS, Azure, Googles,...)
143 Joost