From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox in headless configuration broken after update: delayed echo [ RESOLVED, kinda ]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 21:14:14
1 On 06/16/20 22:36, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 16 June 2020 21:07:56 CEST, n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 06/10/20 15:19, n952162 wrote:
4 >>> I updated my system and now characters typed into vbox over ssh are
5 >>> not echo-ed until *after* a CR is entered.
6 >>>
7 >>> I diffed the stty output, to see if I could spot anything:
8 >>>
9 >>> 10~>cat /tmp/sttydiff
10 >>> 2,3c2,3
11 >>> <  rows 37
12 >>> <  columns 100
13 >>> ---
14 >>>>   rows 44
15 >>>>   columns 88
16 >>> 21d20
17 >>> <  discard = ^O
18 >>> 23c22,23
19 >>> < min = 1
20 >>> ---
21 >>>> discard = ^O
22 >>>>   min = 1
23 >>> 30c30
24 >>> < hupcl
25 >>> ---
26 >>>> -hupcl
27 >>> 36c36
28 >>> < brkint
29 >>> ---
30 >>>> -brkint
31 >>> 48,49c48,49
32 >>> < imaxbel
33 >>> < iutf8
34 >>> ---
35 >>>> -imaxbel
36 >>>> -iutf8
37 >>> Also, the font seems to be screwed up, because the last line of the
38 >>> window only shows the top half of the line.
39 >>>
40 >>> Anybody else encounter this or know what's wrong?
41 >>>
42 >>> Vbox seems to work okay when run locally, on the machine it's
43 >>> installed on.
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >> I think this is resolved, kinda.
47 >> I just discovered that if I turn off the vbox menu bar, the command
48 >> entry line works properly again, both in X-less console mode and in X.
49 >>     Settings -> User Interface -> Enable menu bar (disable this)
50 >>
51 >> I've always had that menu bar, and need it, so something got
52 >> changed/broken, and I still have a problem, but at least now I don't
53 >> have to enter commands in blindly.
54 > Are these Virtualbox VMs critical?
55 > If yes, I would suggest migrating them to a more reliable virtualisation technology.
56 >
57 > I do not consider Virtualbox suitable for anything but a desktop based VM method for a quick test or simulation.
58 >
59 > Gor anything serious, I would suggest Xen, KVM or VMWare.
60 >
61 > --
62 > Joost
63
64 Well, no, they're really not critical, but your comment surprises me.
65 I've been using vbox for years, on various assignments, and never
66 encountered anything else.  Can you say a word or two to that, or
67 provide a URL?  Which free vm is "the best"?