From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FS for laptop
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:20:23
1 On Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Dec 18, 2007 6:40 PM, Hemmann, Volker Armin
3 >
4 > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > On Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 > > > On Dec 18, 2007 2:56 PM, Sergey Kobzar <tod.zullu@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > > Hi guys,
8 > > >
9 > > > [...]
10 > > >
11 > > > > - ext3 looks slow some time
12 > > >
13 > > > The defaults are slow, but you can change them and make it OK. Not
14 > > > super fast, but OK. Check out
15 > > > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt, and tweak the
16 > > > obvious options.
17 > > >
18 > > > data=writeback and commit=300 in particular works fine in my VAIO
19 > > > laptop. And we're talking about laptops, so a sudden loss of power is
20 > > > not something that could happen at any moment.
21 > >
22 > > there is still 'didn't resume correctly' or 'froze and had to hit reset'
23 > > which is as harmfull as power loss.
24 >
25 > It's been *months* since I had any trouble with suspend/resume with my
26 > laptop; but if you are really that paranoid you can always edit
27 >
28 > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux and
29 > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux
30 >
31 > and do a 'sync' before the suspend; problem solved. If you use
32 > gnome-power-manager (or the HAL-aware KDE equivalent) to
33 > suspend/resume, of course; if you do it by other means I'm sure you
34 > can put the sync command in some other place.
35
36 that won't help you if the box dies because battery runs dry in s2ram or when
37 the crash happens while resuming and some stuff has been read and written.
40 > (And actually, I'm pretty sure HAL does the sync by itself; it would
41 > be idiotic not to do it.)
42
43 sync&& echo mem /sys/power/state
44
45 you don't need hal for stuff like that. In fact, you don't need hal at all.
46 And maybe you should rethink your dependency on a 'tool' that is rewritten
47 every odd month.
48 You also might find this interessting:
49 http://blog.cardoe.com/archives/2007/12/06/no-longer-maintaining-gentoos-hal/
50
51 just read the links. But you should have a barf bag ready.
54 > And BTW, AFAIK the same thing happens with *all* the journaled
55 > filesystems, but the data=ordered and commit=5 as default in ext3 is
56 > because the developers are more concerned with data integrity.
57 > Journaled filesystems are not meant to guarantee data integrity; they
58 > guarantee *filesystem* integrity. Meaning: you can lost some of your
59 > work, but the filesystem will be OK and no fsck is required (in the
60 > old days that could be *REALLY* slow).
61
62 I know that. I am not a newbie. But XFS is especially bad at keeping data.
65 > But that's only my advice: years ago I lost a chapter of my BS thesis
66 > thanks to ReiserFS. I'm sure they got way better (because a lot of
67 > folks use it), but if there is something you can say about ext2/ext3,
68 > is that they are the *most* stable filesystems available. That's the
69 > reason of the "slow" defaults (data=ordered and commit=5); the
70 > developers guarantee that, out of the box, ext3 will guarantee
71 > filesystem integrity (as all the journaled filesystems do) AND it will
72 > protect your data at all cost. With data=writeback and commit=300,
73 > ext3 behaves as all the other journaled filesystems (AFAIK; I haven't
74 > checked the progress in filesystems in a while): it only guarantees
75 > the filesystem integrity, meaning you *could* (it would be difficult
76 > anyway) loss 5 minutes of work.
77
78 yeah, well, that explains all the trouble people had with ext3....
81 > See your options; but I'm using Linux since 1996, and Gentoo since
82 > 2003, and I have *never* loss data with ext2 and ext3. With ext3 being
83 > journaled, of course. And I use suspend all the time in my laptop.
84
85 well, I am using linux since kernel 2.2.10 and gentoo since 1.0
86
87 And I have seen data loss caused by ext2 and ext3. I also see the 'bug of the
88 month' for ext3 on lkml (and the 'bug of the week' of xfs)
89
90 People always remember their 'reiserfs' horror stories, but tend to forget
91 ext3 horrors - and a lot of the most vocal ones don't even realize that
92 reiserfs in early 2.4 (where most of the horror stories originate) was not
93 bad - it just was broken by the constant vm-changes. And some devs not
94 bothering cleaning up the mess (yes Rik, Andrea and Linus, I am looking at
95 you ...).
96 --
97 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list