From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FS for laptop
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 03:55:25
1 On Dec 18, 2007 6:40 PM, Hemmann, Volker Armin
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Dec 18, 2007 2:56 PM, Sergey Kobzar <tod.zullu@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > Hi guys,
7 > >
8 > > [...]
9 > >
10 > > > - ext3 looks slow some time
11 > >
12 > > The defaults are slow, but you can change them and make it OK. Not
13 > > super fast, but OK. Check out
14 > > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt, and tweak the
15 > > obvious options.
16 > >
17 > > data=writeback and commit=300 in particular works fine in my VAIO
18 > > laptop. And we're talking about laptops, so a sudden loss of power is
19 > > not something that could happen at any moment.
20 >
21 > there is still 'didn't resume correctly' or 'froze and had to hit reset' which
22 > is as harmfull as power loss.
23
24 It's been *months* since I had any trouble with suspend/resume with my
25 laptop; but if you are really that paranoid you can always edit
26
27 /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux and
28 /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux
29
30 and do a 'sync' before the suspend; problem solved. If you use
31 gnome-power-manager (or the HAL-aware KDE equivalent) to
32 suspend/resume, of course; if you do it by other means I'm sure you
33 can put the sync command in some other place.
34
35 (And actually, I'm pretty sure HAL does the sync by itself; it would
36 be idiotic not to do it.)
37
38 And BTW, AFAIK the same thing happens with *all* the journaled
39 filesystems, but the data=ordered and commit=5 as default in ext3 is
40 because the developers are more concerned with data integrity.
41 Journaled filesystems are not meant to guarantee data integrity; they
42 guarantee *filesystem* integrity. Meaning: you can lost some of your
43 work, but the filesystem will be OK and no fsck is required (in the
44 old days that could be *REALLY* slow).
45
46 With ext3 using data=writeback, commit=300 and you get a failed resume
47 and you (or HAL) did't sync before resuming, you at mos lost five
48 minutes of work; everything else will be a-OK. Which is the point of
49 the journaled filesystems, of course.
50
51 But that's only my advice: years ago I lost a chapter of my BS thesis
52 thanks to ReiserFS. I'm sure they got way better (because a lot of
53 folks use it), but if there is something you can say about ext2/ext3,
54 is that they are the *most* stable filesystems available. That's the
55 reason of the "slow" defaults (data=ordered and commit=5); the
56 developers guarantee that, out of the box, ext3 will guarantee
57 filesystem integrity (as all the journaled filesystems do) AND it will
58 protect your data at all cost. With data=writeback and commit=300,
59 ext3 behaves as all the other journaled filesystems (AFAIK; I haven't
60 checked the progress in filesystems in a while): it only guarantees
61 the filesystem integrity, meaning you *could* (it would be difficult
62 anyway) loss 5 minutes of work.
63
64 See your options; but I'm using Linux since 1996, and Gentoo since
65 2003, and I have *never* loss data with ext2 and ext3. With ext3 being
66 journaled, of course. And I use suspend all the time in my laptop.
67
68 In my desktop I use the ext3 default options; my UPS is old and is not
69 working that well, and besides my desktop uses SATA and is *stupidly*
70 fast, so you don't see the performance penalty.
71
72 Good luck; let us know what you decide.
73 --
74 Canek Peláez Valdés
75 Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM