From: Richard Watson <waty@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Root Block Device is unspecified or not detected - PCMCIA card CD Boot on Sony Vaio
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:04:21
1 On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 02:36 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2 > On Oct 29, 2005, at 10:52 pm, A. Khattri wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Richard Watson wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Hi - I have an old Sony Vaio I thought to run Gentoo on with X. The CD
6 > >> drive is attached to a PCMCIA card. When the LiveCD boots it seems to
7 > >> go
8 > >> OK up until mounting root at which point I get the error "The Root
9 > >> Block
10 > >> Device is unspecified or not detected " and then I'm offerred to
11 > >> either
12 > >> shell or specify a /dev. I've tried gentoo-nofb dopcmcia ide=nodma but
13 > >> no luck. I'm a bit stuck at this point does anyone have any
14 > >> suggestions
15 > >> how I could make the install CD boot? Thanks, Richard
16 > >
17 > > What sort of PCMCIA card? SCSI?
18 >
19 > I have this idea it's not SCSI.
20 >
21 > Sony sold this CD-ROM-on-a-string for their sub-notebook Viaos of the
22 > PII - PIII era. I think the PMCIA card & optical driver were both
23 > hardwired to the cable and it was certainly never implied that the
24 > PCMCIA card might be used with any other kind of drive. Google finds a
25 > photo at http://www.allnotebooks.ru/img/compl/51.gif
26 >
27 > I installed Gentoo on a Pentium II 400 Vaio "Picturebook", the Sony
28 > with a 6" widescreen (1024 x 480??) but never had one of these CD-Roms
29 > available, only the floppy drive. In fact I cheated & resorted to
30 > removing the hard-drive & installing Gentoo on it using a desktop PC
31 > before returning the drive to the laptop. I think it might be possible
32 > to avoid this by installing from stage 3 - that mostly just needs to be
33 > unpacked onto a Linux-formatted partition, doesn't it? There are surely
34 > Linux distros that'll boot on this device so a pre-compiled kernel
35 > could be copied across from another machine and then only grub needs to
36 > be run, I think.
37 >
38 > Richard: does Knoppix boot from this CD-Rom drive? An Ubuntu LiveCD?
39 > Perhaps it might be worth trying an older (2003, 2004) Gentoo install
40 > CD. A Google for "parallel port cd-rom linux" returns, amongst others,
41 > this page http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/paride.html so I reckon your
42 > drive is probably supported by the kernel.
43 >
44 > Stroller.
45 >
46 Hey Stroller ... You got the model in 1 ...! I think you're correct. I'm going to try and
47 use partition magic under Windows 2000 which is the OS it came with to create my partitions and install
48 a stage 3. I'll let you know how I go. Hopefully having an EXT2
49 partition will help Knoppix start properly. Thanks, Richard
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list