From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Root Block Device is unspecified or not detected - PCMCIA card CD Boot on Sony Vaio
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:41:04
1 On Oct 29, 2005, at 10:52 pm, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Richard Watson wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi - I have an old Sony Vaio I thought to run Gentoo on with X. The CD
5 >> drive is attached to a PCMCIA card. When the LiveCD boots it seems to
6 >> go
7 >> OK up until mounting root at which point I get the error "The Root
8 >> Block
9 >> Device is unspecified or not detected " and then I'm offerred to
10 >> either
11 >> shell or specify a /dev. I've tried gentoo-nofb dopcmcia ide=nodma but
12 >> no luck. I'm a bit stuck at this point does anyone have any
13 >> suggestions
14 >> how I could make the install CD boot? Thanks, Richard
15 >
16 > What sort of PCMCIA card? SCSI?
17
18 I have this idea it's not SCSI.
19
20 Sony sold this CD-ROM-on-a-string for their sub-notebook Viaos of the
21 PII - PIII era. I think the PMCIA card & optical driver were both
22 hardwired to the cable and it was certainly never implied that the
23 PCMCIA card might be used with any other kind of drive. Google finds a
24 photo at http://www.allnotebooks.ru/img/compl/51.gif
25
26 I installed Gentoo on a Pentium II 400 Vaio "Picturebook", the Sony
27 with a 6" widescreen (1024 x 480??) but never had one of these CD-Roms
28 available, only the floppy drive. In fact I cheated & resorted to
29 removing the hard-drive & installing Gentoo on it using a desktop PC
30 before returning the drive to the laptop. I think it might be possible
31 to avoid this by installing from stage 3 - that mostly just needs to be
32 unpacked onto a Linux-formatted partition, doesn't it? There are surely
33 Linux distros that'll boot on this device so a pre-compiled kernel
34 could be copied across from another machine and then only grub needs to
35 be run, I think.
36
37 Richard: does Knoppix boot from this CD-Rom drive? An Ubuntu LiveCD?
38 Perhaps it might be worth trying an older (2003, 2004) Gentoo install
39 CD. A Google for "parallel port cd-rom linux" returns, amongst others,
40 this page http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/paride.html so I reckon your
41 drive is probably supported by the kernel.
42
43 Stroller.
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list