From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I move system to new disk?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:10:38
1 On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:40:44 +0100, YoYo siska wrote:
2
3 > . If you are doing it this way (on a running system with mounted
4 > dev/proc/sys...), you can just bind-mount your current / to another
5 > directory. That "copy" will not contain any "sub-mounts" (as if you
6 > accessed it from a livecd),
7
8 Or you could simply use the -x option with rsync. But copying an in use
9 filesystem is a bad idea, better to boot from a live CD and do the job
10 there. If you want to minimise downtime, do the rsync on the working
11 system then boot from the live CD and do it again. The second run should
12 take seconds but will make sure your disk is consistent. Remember to use
13 --delete on the second run.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 We shall shortly be landing. Please return your stewardess to
20 the upright position.