From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I move system to new disk?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:29:14
1 Am Sonntag, 17. Januar 2010 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2
3 > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:40:44 +0100, YoYo siska wrote:
4 > > . If you are doing it this way (on a running system with mounted
5 > > dev/proc/sys...), you can just bind-mount your current / to another
6 > > directory. That "copy" will not contain any "sub-mounts" (as if you
7 > > accessed it from a livecd),
8 >
9 > Or you could simply use the -x option with rsync. But copying an in use
10 > filesystem is a bad idea, better to boot from a live CD and do the job
11 > there. If you want to minimise downtime, do the rsync on the working
12 > system then boot from the live CD and do it again. The second run should
13 > take seconds but will make sure your disk is consistent. Remember to use
14 > --delete on the second run.
15
16 I did it this exact way when I bought a new HDD for my laptop last Christmas,
17 because then I could still use my normal system instead of booting a LiveCD
18 and waiting for the sync to finish (which could take half an hour). Copying
19 16GB from a laptop HDD to another one via USB is not that fast. Only before
20 everything was done and I was ready to boot with the new HDD, I did another
21 rsync with logged-out users on TTY1, which takes but a minute. IIRC I didn’t
22 even boot a live CD.
23
24 And even IF there were some flaws in the mirrored system, there’d be no harm
25 done as I have the original still around to amend them.
26 --
27 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
28 Crayons can take you more places than starships. (Guinan)